If you need to restore your smile in Apex, you may be considering dental implants from Dr. Sarah S. Barker. But are implants right for you? In this blog from Cardinal Family Dentistry, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of dental implants in Apex, and help you make the best decision for your own unique situation. Let’s get started.
The Benefits Of Dental Implants
Let’s start with the advantages of dental implants. If you choose to get dental implants in Apex, you’ll enjoy benefits like:
- Natural look and feel – Dental implants are surgically attached to your jaw, which means they will never move or shift when you bite and chew. The crown or other restoration attached to your implant will also look completely lifelike and natural.
- Minimal care & maintenance – To keep single-tooth implants in good shape, just maintain good oral hygiene and visit Cardinal Family Dentistry every six months for a checkup. That’s it!
- Long lifespan – Dental implants usually last at least 30+ years, and if you maintain good oral health habits, you may be able to keep your implant for the rest of your life.
- Preserves natural jaw bone – Unlike other methods of tooth restoration like dentures and dental bridges, dental implants stimulate and preserve your natural jaw bone, preventing bone resorption after tooth loss. This helps keep your jaw strong and preserves your appearance.
The Drawbacks Of Dental Implants
Dental implants are an excellent choice for smile restoration in Apex, but like all other treatments, there are a few disadvantages that you may want to think about before getting implants.
- Expensive & not covered by insurance – Dental implants are usually the most expensive way to restore your teeth and are rarely covered by insurance. This is offset by their long lifespan, but the up-front cost is still quite high.
- Long treatment time – It usually takes up to 7 months to restore your smile with a dental implant, which is a lot longer than alternative treatments.
- Requires oral surgery – Dental implant surgery is minimally-invasive, but some people still may not like the idea of oral surgery. Additional surgeries like tooth extractions may also be required before your treatment begins.
- Not everyone is a candidate – If your mouth is not healthy or your jaw is too weak, you may not qualify for implants, or you may need additional treatments like bone grafts to strengthen your jaw before you can get an implant, which will add more time and cost to the process.
Are Dental Implants Right For You? Find Out At Cardinal Family Dentistry!
Dental implants are an excellent way to restore missing teeth, and we always recommend them to patients who are good candidates and have the time and budget to get them. But they’re not always the best choice for everyone.
Wondering whether you should get dental implants in Apex or explore other treatments? Contact Cardinal Family Dentistry online or call us at (919) 589-5001 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sarah S. Barker. Dr. Barker can help you learn more about dental implants as well as alternatives like partial dentures and dental bridges, and ensure you choose the right treatment for your needs.